Friday, March 16, 2012

The Fruit of the Spirit: Fatherhood Edition

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.


I have been thinking about this passage a lot this week. To tell you the truth, it hasn't been an easy week for various reasons. For the sake of satisfying my own desires to understand the specific words in the Bible, allow me this quote regarding the word fruit before proceeding:

"The choice of fruit here instead of works is due probably to the conception of the Christian experience as the product of a new and divine life implanted in the saint. In 5:25, Paul speaks of the fact that the Christian lives in the Spirit, that is, derives his spiritual life from the indwelling Spirit, which spiritual life is the motivating force producing the fruit of the Spirit. The word fruit is singular, which fact serves to show that all of the elements of character spoken of in these verses are a unity, making for a well-rounded and complete Christian life."

Wuest, K. S. (1997). Wuest's word studies from the Greek New Testament : For the English reader (Ga 5:22). Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.


Therefore, the fruit of the Spirit should be distinguished from what we often think of as the fruits of the Spirit. The word is singular, which indicates that the Spirit produces all of the characteristics listed, not just some of them. What it does not say is that some people have more of one, say patience, and others more of another, say self-control. Those filled with the Spirit and showing forth His fruit embody all of these characteristics. That's why it's His fruit, not ours. We cannot do it without Him bearing that fruit in us and through us.

Enough theology. Enough biblical study. Here's the truth - I have to ask for the Holy Spirit's fruit every day in how I relate to my kids. I have joked with some that nothing will reveal your own innate selfishness more than when you get married...until you have kids. As with all humor, there is truth in that statement.

I am desperate for His fruit in my life, the complete fruit, from rind to core. I had a friend in college who, when eating an apple, would eat the whole thing - stem, skin, fruit, core, seeds. All gone. That's how I want to eat of the fruit of the Spirit - total consumption. Without this, I am a wreck of a father.

Think about it. Without love, there's no warmth. Without joy, there's no laughter. Without peace, there's no security. Without patience, there's no grace. Without kindness, there's no right speech. Without goodness, there's only debauchery. Without faithfulness, there's abandonment. Without gentleness, there's no cuddling. Without self-control, there's no mercy.

With these, however, there are warm embraces, soft words of encouragement, grace and mercy for hard moments, which produces security and love. This all hinges on where I am with God when I walk in the door after a long day at work. Do my kids care how my day went? No, not really. I heard a preacher once say that 'my time' is before everyone gets up and after everyone has gone to bed. In other words, when I get home my kids want my face. They want whatever energy I have left, and if I don't think I have any, I'd better find some quick.

And so I pray.

Earnestly.
Lord, manifest your fruit, the whole fruit, in me today.

Daily.
Help me show patience with my son and gentleness with my daughter.


On the way home.
Guide me into temperance and let my mouth speak what is beneficial, not always what's in my head.

Up the stairs...
As I come home, refresh me before I step in the door. Be my Father, that I might father them in a way that makes it easy for them to see You. Amen.

...and in the door.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. Thanks for writing it. ALL fathers need to read this, not just single ones. I become very annoyed when a family has a stay-at-home mom, and all the working father does is complain. "The second I walk in the door, all I want to do is sit down, but I can't because the kids want all my attention. My wife asks me to watch them while she makes dinner. It's like...I JUST got home from working all day...where's MY peace?" Actual words married fathers have shared with me. That's frustrating to hear for many reasons. As someone who wants children but can't have them, I think a lot of fathers take what they have for granted. Children are a gift, and should be looked at as such. I would think if we knew that we were coming home to a gift every day, we'd be a little more excited. I know children can drain your energy, but you can also FEED off their energy. Thank you for having the right perspective. Thank you for being a good father. Thank you for BEING a father.

    ReplyDelete