Monday, February 27, 2012

Jesus Loves the Church

I have had a song on my heart (and subsequently in my head) for the past four days. I can't get it out, and so I am going to share the lyrics with you with the intent being that we would see better how much Jesus loves His bride, the Church. This song comes from Derek Webb's album She Must and Shall Go Free, and album all about the Church. The song is titled 'Lover'. It is a song taken from Christ's perspective as He sings to the Church. The Bible states that God 'sings songs of deliverance' over us. I would not presume to know exactly what or how He sings, but I think the heart of that verse is well communicated in the lyrics to this song. Enjoy, and if you like, buy his album. It's worth it.



Lover

Like a man comes to an alter, I came into this town
With the world upon my shoulders and promises passed down.
And I went into the water and my father, He was pleased.
I built it and I’ll tear it down so you will be set free.

But I found thieves and salesmen living in my Father’s house.
I know how they got in here, and I know how to get ‘em out.
I’m turning this place over from floor to balcony,
And then just like these doves and sheep you will be set free.

I’ve always been a lover from before I drew a breath;
some things i loved easy and some I loved to death.
Because love’s no politician - it listens carefully.
Of those who come I can’t lose one, so you will be set free.

But go on and take my picture, go on and make me up.
I’ll still be your defender, you’ll be my missing son.
And I’ll send out an army just to bring you back to me.
Because regardless of your brother’s lies you will be set free.

I am my beloved's, and my beloved’s mine.
So you bring all your history, and I’ll bring the bread and wine.
And we’ll have us a party where all the drinks are on me.
Then as surely as the rising sun you will be set free.

0 comments:

Post a Comment