Thursday, January 26, 2012

January 20, 2012 (Part 1)

It's a really snowy day in Chicago. I've been with the kids by myself all morning for what might be the first time ever. And it didn't go well. The biggest problem is that I can't seem to muster up the energy to play and laugh and have fun. Those things have become foreign to me somehow. I laughed and played with Christen all the time. I just haven't transferred that to the kids. Instead, I'm setting expectations and making demands and generally lacking all the grace Christen continually displayed.
Christen always handled these times far better. She had a way of redirecting the kids without always having to be stern. She had her moments of frustration and lost temper, certainly. But she was mostly so even with them. I feel like some sort of roller coaster wrecking ball, correcting first and teaching later. It's a rough dynamic right now.
Add to this my growing sense of loss. I've lost my best friend, my lover, my conversation partner, my helper, my ministry cooperator. She filled in my empty spaces, which are many, and now that's all I see. I had a dream about her last night... But I woke up. And it wasn't real, and nothing compares to reality. [C.S] Lewis talks about this truth in A Grief Observed, the truth that my recollections of Christen are invariably tampered with by my own self. I put my own twists on what was her in reality, twists that can only be corrected by the real Christen (and thus, can never be corrected anymore). I see this already happening, and it increases my sadness...

6 comments:

  1. I know you are going through alot now. I lost my mom 3 years ago. Having to get through the funeral and knowing you won't be seeing her again is really hard. I asked the Holy Spirit to give me strength to help me through it and He did. It does get easier after awhile. Turn everything over to God and He will be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One cannot imagine what you are going through right now. I wonder if words of comfort can almost seem cheap because they don't change what reality is... you've lost your wife. In the moments where you don't have strength I pray the Comforter would sustain you and be the sufficiency you need to get you through one minute to one day at a time. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you constantly. When I went through my divorce I felt alot of emptiness that was profound at times. I cried myself to sleep all the time and flailed around in my sleep often. I reached out to God as much as I could, read alot of Psalms, listened to sermons on the radio. Eventually went to therapy to get through the process. You will make it. Trust God even though it hurts.

    Lisa (from choir)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe, I don't feel I'm even worthy of comparing my losses to yours so just know I am praying for you and sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless you Joe,

    I don't know you but have been praying for you. Today on my way home from work I thought about you and your family and I prayed for you. My Wife directed me to your blog (she is friends with Vanessa Cancel).

    There are no words that can make you feel better, there are no "I'm sorry's" that makes the pain go away. But I know God is looking out for you and I continue to pray that His unfailing love and mercy cover you completely like a blanket. I pray that you find hope through this time and keep waiting for the Lord's return.

    I have copied a link to a recent sermon by Greg Laurie that might be of some use to you. http://www.harvest.org/webcast/player.php?event=6&section=archive&id=1321

    God bless from Isaac in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you Joe. Thanks for sharing this with us. It's an honor. Brian R

    ReplyDelete