Monday, April 23, 2012

The Spring Line

The week after Christen passed away, a few people asked about when I was planning on going through her clothes and packing them up/giving them away. When my grandmother passed away several years ago, my grandfather went through her things within the first few days. His logic: If I don't do it now, I'm never going to do it. That's reasonable.

I, however, chose to wait. This was in part because I couldn't bring myself to do it right then. The previous two weeks had been a whirlwind of shock, pain, grief, processing, details, emotional ups and (mostly) downs, family, travel, and on and on. I just could not bring myself to go through Christen's clothing after all of that. Besides, a lot of her clothes were in our storage closet because she was wise to store our Spring/Summer wardrobe somewhere other than in our limited closet space (it is Chicago, after all). I was not going to try to bring all that up in the middle of January only to effectively take it all back down again, then bring it up for me and the kids again in Spring. I figured, when it's time to bring out the Spring clothes, I'll go through her stuff then.

That day was today.

To understand this moment, you have to understand who Christen was when it came to fashion. While I am no great fashion-monger myself, I did learn a few things in being her husband. Namely: Her style was her own. This is something that I always loved about her. She did not mimic other people. She did not stalk celebrity styles to do what 'they' were doing (these principles also applied to her hair). She found a way to be ahead of the curve without really paying attention to magazines, tabloids, fashion gurus, and the like. We don't have cable, so even shows like 'What Not to Wear' (which she loved) were unavailable. Consequently, she made up her own style. Everything from her color combinations to layers to textures to accessories were uniquely Christen. I can't begin to tell you how many times I heard women in the church comment, 'I love what you're wearing, but I could never pull it off,' to Christen. As her husband - beaming! I mean, come on guys, admit it: Being married to an 'it' girl is pretty sweet. After all, she said 'yes' to me - amazing!

I also loved her approach to shopping. She would go to a store with something very specific in mind. I would think, 'Oh, she's seen that in a catalog somewhere,' or some such nonsense. After looking around for awhile, she would very often just be done and ready to leave. Sure, she'd have picked up a couple of items, walked around with them, perhaps even tried them on. In the end, if it wasn't exactly what she'd pictured in her mind, it would go back on the rack. She did this all the time. I would ask her about it. Her response: 'I saw it in my head, and I figure it has to be out there somewhere. So I'll look until I find it.' Very often she would find it - a year later when the fashion world had caught up to my wife's brain.

I wouldn't say that fashion was something Christen spent a lot of time thinking about (after all, her word for all the material stuff of this life was kindling); she did, however, have exceptional taste, class, style, and timing. She managed to do something that most women scoff at - she made modesty trendy.

This brings us to this afternoon. I brought up the bins from storage, pulled out my clothes as well as the kids', and then got to the task of emptying out all of her clothes. The living room was covered by the time I was finished emptying all the bins, under-the-bed storage, and the closet.

I went through each item because I wanted to remember. At some items I laughed ('how did she ever make that work?'). At others I smiled ('she wore that all the time'). A few I simply broke down and wept uncontrollably ('I remember the last time she wore this' or 'she wore this on our anniversary').

At one point I found a sweatshirt that Christen used to wear around the house all the time. Gray and white striped, zip-up hoodie made of waffley cotton material. It had been tossed behind something in the closet, so it hadn't been washed since the last time she'd worn it. It still smelled like her. And I lost it. Hudson was in the room for that one. He came over, and at first he laughed because he thought I was playing some sort of game. In fact, he asked if I was playing. I told him I was not, and that I missed Mommy very much. He just stared at me with such compassion on his face, he looked 23 instead of 3. Then he hugged me. I told him I loved him, and he said he loved me too. I told him I loved Mama, and he told me she loved me too. It was the most excruciating and sweetest moment of the entire day.

I am emotionally exhausted as I type this. This day has been circled on my calendar, so to speak, since Christen's passing. In going through this process, I knew part of it would be remembering her as she was when she wore this outfit, that dress, those skirts, and so on. It would mean dealing with the fact that she would never fill those clothes again. It would mean touching the cloth that used to touch her skin, knowing that neither it nor I would ever do so again. The clothes by themselves are nothing. But clothes have memories, and I heard each one of them today.

I wish I could type something inspiring at this point in the post. I praise God that His mercies are new in the morning because I'm ready to go to bed and wake up to that. The truth is that today was one of the most emotionally taxing days I have had since her funeral. The point of today was not to see how far I've come in my grieving. The point of today was not to gauge my emotional readiness for this or that. The point of today was to get through today. To do this next hard thing. To embrace what was and accept, in increasing measure, that it isn't anymore. To let my kids know that it's okay for them to still miss Mommy. To weep openly. To say goodbye, again.

9 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your family's loss. In the past year I've lost my mom, grandma, and grandpa. You are very courageous. We still haven't cleaned out my mom's things. As I write this I am fighting back the tears wishing the pain would disappear. Hugs to you and your kids! God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe I am weeping along with you brother. I remember clearing out my brother's apartment after he died 3 years ago. It was a difficult process to see his clothes and the remnants of his daily life. I love you brother and am asking God to give you His perfect peace, strength and power today to carry you through this day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are brave. I have yet to go through some of my father's things... and he died 8 years ago. There are still a few bins left. Love you Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot even imagine the pain. My heart aches for you and your children. Your strength is inspiring and your love for your wife amazing. Blessings to you....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, God, for the strength you give Joe. Thank you for what you teach us through him. Thank you for the gifts he has, and thank you for his life. You give and you take away, all that we have comes from your hands, and in you alone we find our rest. Challenge us to remember. I pray that you would pour your blessings down on Joe and his family, God that you would bring them joy with every setting and rising of the sun. They belong to you, father. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember someone making pillows and quilts out of some of the clothes of beloved loved ones for them and their kids to remember. Praying alongside you Jo Ringle! May He be your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe, thank you for being so transparent with your recent hardship and experiences. To endure it is "difficult" (although the word is not even a surface scratch-er) is not enough, but sharing your experiences with the world only to relive those precious moments again after already spending the day brooding and weeping over it was enough!

    I keep you and your family in prayer and I thank the Proctors for sharing your story within our community group because not only do we get to lift you up spiritually, but you've allowed us the privilege of stepping into your home, your thoughts, the good, bad, the funny, and the ugly; and we're seeing a family transform and change and you've been able to stand firm even in the weakest moments.

    Truly inspiring and I'm sure others in your same situation will find the courage to do what you are doing now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope this makes a chapter in a book one day Joe. The story is so powerful but it's the power of the prose that so strikingly captures the images.

    "It would mean touching the cloth that used to touch her skin, knowing that neither it nor I would ever do so again. The clothes by themselves are nothing. But clothes have memories, and I heard each one of them today."

    "His mercies are new in the morning because I'm ready to go to bed and wake up to that".

    ReplyDelete