Thursday, May 3, 2012

"What if...?" is Dangerous

Before I write this post, I must say: No, I haven't forgotten about Theology Thursdays and the current series of How to Study the Bible. I have been studying and reading for that for the last couple of weeks in preparation of handling the topic well. In addition, I have had a great couple of weeks building relationships with people, which has meant extra time away from writing and researching. Consequently, I ask that you bear with me for another week as I prepare to launch into the series. Once it gets going, there'll be no stopping it! Please accept this simple post as a (hopefully) thought-provoking alternative for this week.


It has been on my mind of late that the idea of "What if...?" questions is a double-edged sword.

They are often seen as negatively dangerous, as when dwelling on the past one asks, "What if I had never made this or that decision?" That cannot go anywhere productive. The fact is we didn't make that decision that way, and so there's no telling how it would have turned out in reality. All we know for sure is that we did what we did and we can plainly see the consequences. This kind of "What if...?" leads us to miss the present in light of the past. We are so busy dealing with what we 'should have' done that we neglect dealing with what needs doing now. And this leads to additional poor decisions and regret, and the cycle continues. Too many people live in this for too many years.

But lately, I have been wondering about the positive danger in asking "What if...?". As in, "What if this didn't work this way but worked this way instead?" Or, "What if we believed this way instead of that way?" "What if this were possible?" These are dangerous questions as well, yet of an entirely different ilk.

These questions spark deeper thought, greater innovation, immense creativity, new solutions - in short, dreams. Dreams lie in the realm of "What if...?" In this way, we are able to see the present with an eye on the future. More accurately, we see that, in light of the present, there must be something more for the future, if only someone would dream big enough to get us there.

Are you that dreamer?

I want to be.

I had a conversation with someone tonight wherein we both came to the conclusion that we aren't now nor do we hope to ever settle so much that we stop dreaming.

I believe that this side of Heaven there should exist a holy discontent that brings forth new means and methods of communicating truths that are timeless. I desire for the Church to be an agent of cultural change, not merely an institution reacting to and opposing culture as it changes. I desire that wisdom would mean more to us than titles, that character would trump personality, that risk-taking would overshadow the status quo, that the gospel would shine brighter than the best lights and the highest lumens projectors.

I desire that every church would seek to leave a legacy in whatever area it resides. I hope for every congregation to be able to say 'yes' to the question, "If we packed up and left town tomorrow, would we be missed?" I yearn for the lifecycle of a church not to be contingent on the pastor but on the fire in the people.

I desire to see true revival in my city in my lifetime. I see churches impacting apartment buildings, streets, neighborhoods, wards, businesses, community centers, shelters, schools, crime, marriage, children, families, old, young, black, white, brown, man, woman. I see the gospel taking root in ways and through means that have been untapped due to fear of failure, fear of man, or just plain fear. I see that fear overcome by our great King and people stepping out with courage to face impossible things with an impossibly awesome God.

My vision. My hope. My dream. They really aren't mine at all. This is what the Lord desires for Chicago. He desires this for every city, suburb, and rural town in every state and every nation across the globe. "To the ends of the earth," was the commission from Jesus to His apostles prior to His ascension.

I dream of risky answers to future-focused "What if...?" questions. In the end, I would much rather attempt something and fail than risk nothing and succeed.

3 comments: